Tuesday 7 February 2012

Assignment 6 (part) - Tattoo Culture

As part of my creative practice, I have been researching the art of tattooing. I have learnt from my research and it has helped to form the ideals behind some of my work.

Tattooing uses ink and needles to draw permanently onto the skin. Designs vary by culture and by equipment that is available. I have been looking at Polynesian tattooing and how this has affected the wider tattoo society. This is a tribal group who use tattooing as a way of expressing themselves to their society, it is expected that to be a man, you must endure the pain of having a tattoo. Its a sign of pride and a mark of will. Different countries view tattoos in different ways, and each individual has differencing opinions on them. Its a question of taste, style and aesthetics.

"Some people said to me that I would never understand tattooing unless I was tattooed. Others told me that I would never get into the tattoo community without a tattoo on my body. Both sets of people were right. I would never fully understand tattooing and I would never belong to the tattoo community"
(Kuwahara, 2005)
This is interesting to me because it shows a real insight into how something cannot be fully understood, unless you have done it. It makes you question if tattooing can really ever be actually understood, the art of having drawings or designs placed over your body for decoration, or social purposes. I myself, have been under the needle six times, and a few more if you count 'touch ups'. I do not fully understand why tattooing is as important as it is to me. It reaches back to a far point in history, to tribes, to pirates, to sailors and to the painted ladies. Having a tattoo isn't a massive social implication in modern times in the Uk, But I still am expected to cover my tattoos for important formal social occasions, such as job interviews, and other peoples weddings. They are in fashion, but not entirely sociably accepted, which I feel is what draws the rebellious side of people, towards this form of art.

"Many of my Japanese friends advised me that I should not get tattooed because 'tattoos are for yakuza.' 'If you have tattoos,' they said to me, 'you cannot go to public baths and swim in public pools'."
 (Kuwahara, 2005)
This idea that the Japanese may hold is pretty incredible, that 'tattoos are for yakuza' is saying that tattoos are a sign of gangs and the Mafia. There isnt this type of community in the UK, but in similar respects, the culture of prison tattoos is well established. Tattooing to me seems to be about experience, people like having it done (those who choose to have it done) and it seems to me that it can become addictive. The amount of people I know who have had one tattoo and not had another after is very little indeed. Its a habit, maybe people get hooked on the pain or the general satisfaction of having it done.

"Tattooing is a physical, personal experience. The pain and/or joy of getting tattooed can never be understood without actually experiencing the insertion of a needle into your body. Social freedom and/or constraint resulting from having tattoos can never be apprehended without actually possessing a permanent mark on the body. These experiential aspects make tattooing a ritual and establish a strong affinity, including those who have tattoos and excluding those who have not"
(Kuwahara, 2005)
What is brought my interest to tattooing as a from of art and that of a way of drawing is the idea that it is creating works that are long lasting and made up of a series of lines. Looking into how tattoos are created out of these lines, lines that are made from needles tapping in and out of the skin to create a smooth swift line. Tattoos can be varied depending on the style of needle that is used, similarly to using a different sided pen when drawing. Different needles also have different roles, such as for outlining and for shading. I'm interested as to how line styles can display emotion, and with this, I know from personal experiences; Different needles promote different feelings of actualised pain. Such as I remember when having my foot tattooed, Using a fine needle to get the outline, hurts much more than the thicker line of needles used to fill and colour it in. Also this could raise questions about places on the body to be tattooed, are they personal places, or places that are subjected to others sight. This might implicate what the design is, and whether they want others to see it. In my opinion I have known people who get tattoos purely to show off the fact they have tattoos. In one conversation I was discussing my next tattoo with them, They did not see the point of having a tattoo somewhere that would not be seen all the time, and they so eloquently phrased it "What is the point if no-one will see it" to which I replied "Sometimes its nice to have something for yourself"

"Needles affect the expression and the result of tattooing. The pricking part of traditional tools consists of several flat projections, whose numbers and sizes vary. The needle of the remodelled razor is normally a single sewing needle. The tattoo machine operators often use various types of needle. round needles, which consist of three or more needles together in a round shape, are usually used as liners. Flat needles used in Tahiti are made of either five or seven needles, two needles lying in front of three, or three lying in front of four. The needles are soldered to the top of needle bars after they have been made into the flat or round shape. They are sterilised before use."
(Kuwahara, 2005)
With this research I hope to understand more about the practice of tattooing, and by understanding some of its history, it should help me to design better tattoos. The social significance is also an important aspect for me, such as my parents not wanting me to get any more tattoos, each one I receive is always 'the last one, I promise' but it rarely is. In future research I would like to examine the social implications of tattooing and sample peoples opinions and reactions. Could this be a generational thing, or is society becoming more accepting of people with body modifications.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment